Saturday, March 26, 2011

MAC_Week4_Comment1



Comment from Marc Coppin:


Ah! The final four chapters. If any of you have read my previous posts about this book , you realize that this book has been quite an inspiration to me. It was as if this book was written while examining my life. Almost every chapter struck a personal chord with me. Each chapter and each story really had a resonance within in me. It is kind of funny to me because as I write this, I find myself using musical descriptors such as chord and resonance. This is fitting based on the over-arching theme of the book. This will be one of the books that I will revisit often as the message is a good one and one that we should aspire to.
As with the rest of the chapters, the final four or the finale really drove home the importance of looking toward the possibilities in situations and our lives. While we cannot always attain this level of engagement or attitude, it is something we can aspire to. I love Chapter 9 and lighting the spark, because that is truly what we can do. Nothing sums up the chapter and how I feel about what I do as the quote at the end of Chapter 9.
“The life force for humankind is, perhaps, nothing more or less than the passionate energy to connect, express, and communicate. Enrollment is that life force at work, lighting sparks from person to person, scattering light in all directions.”
Chapter 10 was probably the chapter that had the least impact on me, but it was a good read. I know that life happens and how we react and approach it really dictates how we live our lives. 
The final two chapters were the grand finale for me as they should be. I have to keep reminding myself that “"I am here today to cross the swamp, not to fight all the alligators." Once I remember that, the journey becomes easier.
I will end my blog on the “Art of Possibilities” with a final quote that was found at the end of chapter 11.

“Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.”
  1. -Marianne Williamson

Zander, Rosamund Stone, and Zander, Benjamin. 2000. The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life. New York: Penguin Books.



My comment to Marc:

Marc,
I got goosebumps as I read your blog entry. Your passion for what you do is contagious and I hope to be able to stay in touch with you after this masters program is completed. You stated your thoughts so clearly, it was as though we were having a one to one conversation. I really enjoyed your comments on the book and the quotes you pulled from the reading were incredibly powerful for me as well. What I loved about this book was the way in which I could relate each of the concepts to my own life. Similarly to you, I felt that this book was given to me to read at a very crucial time in my life as a teacher, student, faculty trainer, wife and mother. What I will take from your blog is the line about crossing the swamp, not trying to fight the alligators. Oh my gosh, that is a brilliant line and boy does it put things into perspective. So I want to thank you for that. I also wanted to mention what a beautiful image you have attached to your blog! Thanks Marc and I hope we get to meet at graduation. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment