Saturday, March 19, 2011

MAC_Week3_Comment1




Blog From Sandra Colby:
I don’t know about anyone else but I am thoroughly enjoying the writing of Ben and Roz Zander. From the BTFI to following rule number 6 these authors have some really good stuff to tell us.

At first I was going to write about the downward spiral and how I thought, yea, this is the way the my life is going, from the not getting any teaching jobs, to living with all my teenagers and the possibility of not having a home.

I did try talking about “Rule No. 6” at my current place of work, but they wanted to know what rules 1-5 were. And I tried to use “How fascinating!”, but found out later it was for mistakes not things that I truly made work.

The fact that orchestra players job satisfaction was lower than prison guards also spoke to me. I wonder what it is for teachers in urban schools where there is no hope is. I know that my job sometimes felt like being a prison guard, in some schools that is where the teachers actually are. Not a place for me.

No, on this beautiful day in Minnesota, where the snow is melting, and the sun is shining, I finally finished chapter 8.

There it was. The two steps for giving way to Passion.
“1. notice where you are holding back and let go
2. participate wholly” Zander, the Art of Possibility, p. 114.

I do need to notice where I am holding back. There are so many things that I still want to accomplish and maybe that is why I am still on this planet. However, I can also see where doors are closed to me.

While on this trail, I have picked up a copy of “48 Days to the Work You Love”, which may show me how to find something that I will totally enjoy, not only after my sojourn at Full Sail University, but also as part of where I am on my journey in life.

My response to Sandra:
Hi Sandra,
First off, I really like the wordle design you created on the top of this blog. That is such a great site and my students love using it now. Second, I feel the same way as I read Zander’s book and, much like you, I was intrigued by the two steps for giving way to passion. I like the way you write because I feel like I can follow along with you as you’re writing through the obstacles you are facing yet the optimism that this book is providing. Perhaps this is the most perfect time in your life for this book to come to you. I laughed when you discussed about your coworkers asking about rules 1-5. I guess they didn’t quite get it.

It’s a really tough time right now with jobs cut, budgets being frozen and slashed and morale low, but I think that it takes people like you and me, who have so much that they want to accomplish, to continue in our search for the art of possibility. I hope that this book continues to inspire you and that your job search is over in less than 48 days. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment