Saturday, March 12, 2011

MAC_Week2_Reading(Art, 1-4)



This book is truly inspiring and I can’t believe how the timing of reading it has coincided with such monumental events happening in my life. Perhaps some of it is a bit of nostalgia as we’re finishing up this very important journey of earning a masters degree. It leaves me with such pride, but more importantly an open attitude and heart for what lies ahead. I really enjoyed watching the TED video of Benjamin Zander and felt that it was a fantastic introduction to the book. Being able to see how he inspires his audience gave the book that much more credibility as I began reading chapters 1-4. I immediately liked him for his humor and ability to captivate just about anyone he comes in contact with.

As I began reading, I felt such a connection to his thoughts especially about the way we use measurement for a tool of success in just about all that we do and how making a contribution is really the truest measure. There were so many quotes that I wrote down, especially in chapter 2 when he discusses that if we more successfully engage those around us, we will attract resources through our passion for what we do. I can relate so much of what Zander discusses for several reasons: first, our college is currently in the process of interviewing for a new vice president. We are down to three candidates and have recently started some open forums to ask questions of the candidates. There is one internal candidate and she had her open forum this past week. It’s been a long time since I have been so inspired by a speaker and Zander’s book reminds of how life changing it can be to just open your attitude to new thinking. Our internal candidate is incredibly smart, but what stands out even more is her passion for what she does and her vision for the future of the college. Much like Zander refers to in the TED video, I was inspired by her ability to “awaken possibility” on those around her (and me especially).

The second reason I relate so well to Zander is on a more personal note. Recently I have been asked to head up some very special projects at my college because of the EMDT degree that I’m earning. The opportunities have been incredible, but as I move up a little bit there are those with less than model attitudes who want to tear you down at every turn. The importance of a positive attitude and the anthem that Zander discusses couldn’t be more accurate and I feel as though I’m experiencing these tests at this very moment! These two events (the VP search and my jobs at the college) are connected on so many levels because of the direction in which the college wishes to go. I have already made a list of people who I would like to refer this book to so they can reconnect with the universe of possibility rather than just the idea of surviving and scarcity-thinking. It couldn’t be more important in the field of 21st century education, where measurement is usually the only recognized road to success. I thoroughly enjoyed reading his many examples of his classroom teaching, especially the letters he received from his students.

His idea about giving an A to each student and requiring the letting written from the future was a true example of the art of possibility. I was so moved by his instructions to fall passionately in love with the person each student was describing in their letter—talk about giving students a vision! I was especially inspired by the segment from the Taiwanese student who talked about his transformation of thought from being #68 to being an A. It is truly all invented.

4 comments:

  1. Dena,

    I also found this book extremely inspiring and found that the timing was quite incredible. I found myself highlighting many of the lines and quotes in the book because they moved me. Over the past year, I became so wrapped up with work and the pursuit of my masters I lost sight of what is most important. I also felt such a connection with the author in the book.
    When I downloaded this book for the course, I thought to myself it was going to be another one of the books I had to trudge through in order to finish the class. As I started to read it, I realized that there is a reason this book was given to us. As we begin the next steps of our journey, we need to look at those people in our lives and help them realize their possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been nice to have a read here at the end that beckons us to reflect and restructure the way we see the world. I hope, like it seems you have done, I can get out of my thinking head for a bit here in the end with all I have to accomplish and shift my perceptions. The demands of work and school are taking a toll and I really need to seize this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off I really enjoyed reading your blog post. It is wonderful when we can read a piece of literature or watch a video and be able to connect to our life. It is even more wonderful when it impacts us positively. i loved the reading this week. Good luck in where life is taking your career. Stay positive and surround yourself with like minded people. I am glad this reading was assigned, as i feel everyone in our class has benefited. It has definitely given me food for thought, and I will recommend it to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great overview and reflection on the chapters, especially given the challenges that you are facing.

    ReplyDelete